Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year 2016: Me, the tax filer got married on November.2016. My husband is not living in states currently. So, how do i file my taxes? Under which status?

I wasn't married when I filed 2015 tax. And now when I was trying to fill in the form, it asks me for my spouse's Social Security number which he doesn't have because he is not residing in states.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Tax Year 2016: Me, the tax filer got married on November.2016. My husband is not living in states currently. So, how do i file my taxes? Under which status?

Assuming you are a US Citizen required to file a US Individual Income tax return, you can file a joint US return but he will have to get an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).   I'll post the instructions for that below.  The ITIN will be entered in the space for a Social Security Number in the software.

If you make this choice, the following rules apply:

• You and your spouse are treated, for income tax purposes, as residents for all tax years that the choice is in effect,
  • You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice, and 
  • Each spouse must report his or her entire worldwide income on the joint income tax return

If you make this choice, you and your spouse are treated as residents for your entire tax year for the purpose of your federal individual income tax return, and for the purpose of withholding U.S. federal income tax from your wages.

Please see this link for more details US Citizens & Resident Aliens - Non-Resident Alien Spouse .

Here are details on ITINs and how to get one  ITIN Information  .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies