turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmnewland

Was I supposed to file for a state extension even though I filed for a federal extension?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Was I supposed to file for a state extension even though I filed for a federal extension?

Maybe ... which state ?
jmnewland

Colorado (which is where all my income is from), and then the rest is all from a K-1 - AZ, CA, NM, OK

Colorado
The state of Colorado will automatically grant you a six-month tax extension of time to file. If you don’t owe any tax, you do not need to fill out a form or notify the Colorado Department of Revenue. The tax extension applies to Colorado Tax Form 104, but not to any state income tax you may owe. At least 90 percent of your tax liability must be paid by April 15 to avoid any penalties. Any remaining unpaid balance will be subject to interest charges only.

If you owe state income tax, you must send in Colorado Tax Form DR 158-I (Extension Payment Voucher for Colorado Individual Income Tax).

For the rest I doubt one baby K-1 form will require filing in any of the other states but you can check the link below.
jmnewland

Can I speak to a live agent?

Sure on Monday.

It depends on the state.

Many states acknowledge a federal extension while others have their own process.

To see how to file for an extension in your state, click the link below:

See this link to find your state.

https://www.irs.com/articles/state-tax-extension-information 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-extensions/how-to-file-for-an-extension-of-state-taxes/L6Fm... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies