turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I file a 1040 for my 16 yr old who earned $200 from a church - no 1099-MISC? IRS Pub 929 says "yes" since this is >$108.28, but her standard deduction is $1050.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Do I file a 1040 for my 16 yr old who earned $200 from a church - no 1099-MISC? IRS Pub 929 says "yes" since this is >$108.28, but her standard deduction is $1050.

Maybe.  What Pub 929 says on that amount depends on whether or not the amount your daughter received was (a) wages (as compared to self-employment) and (b) earned from a church that is exempt from remitting social security and Medicare wages.  Your child will not receive a 1099-MISC if the amount is less than $600, (which would be for self-employment), and, if it is self-employment, would not have to file because the amount is under $400 (not $1050.  Keep reading below the $108.28 figure to see the self-employment filing requirement).  

The question is:  If your daughter had received enough income, would she have received a 1099-MISC or a W-2?  If a 1099-MISC, she does not have to file.  If a W-2, (which she should have received because of the filing requirement mentioned in your question), then the question is if Social Security and Medicare (boxes 2 and 4) have withholding amounts in them.  If they do, then she doesn't have to file; if they do not have amounts, she has a filing requirement (which would be on Form 1040).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Maybe.  What Pub 929 says on that amount depends on whether or not the amount your daughter received was (a) wages (as compared to self-employment) and (b) earned from a church that is exempt from remitting social security and Medicare wages.  Your child will not receive a 1099-MISC if the amount is less than $600, (which would be for self-employment), and, if it is self-employment, would not have to file because the amount is under $400 (not $1050.  Keep reading below the $108.28 figure to see the self-employment filing requirement).  

The question is:  If your daughter had received enough income, would she have received a 1099-MISC or a W-2?  If a 1099-MISC, she does not have to file.  If a W-2, (which she should have received because of the filing requirement mentioned in your question), then the question is if Social Security and Medicare (boxes 2 and 4) have withholding amounts in them.  If they do, then she doesn't have to file; if they do not have amounts, she has a filing requirement (which would be on Form 1040).

Thank you. She was not employed directly by the church (submitted a W-9 at their request). I missed the $400 net earnings bullet.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

But that gives the info.  A W-9 is used for a contractor (self-employed/1099-MISC income).  She won't have to file in any case.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies