turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eshelide

My child's father is claiming my son as a dependent this year (we are divorced). Am I able to still claim the money that I spent on childcare?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

My child's father is claiming my son as a dependent this year (we are divorced). Am I able to still claim the money that I spent on childcare?

Maybe. The Child and Dependent Care credit goes on the tax return of the parent who has primary custody, regardless of who is claiming the child as a tax dependent. Even if your ex is claiming him as a dependent, you would add your son as a nondependent under Personal Info. Indicate that the child lives with you, and also indicate that you are not claiming him as a dependent. Then you can add the child care.

If the child does live with you more than he lives with his father, make sure his father doesn't indicate primary custody on his tax return. Claiming the child and custodial benefits are 2 separate issues.

If the child lived with both of you equally, the parent with the higher AGI would claim the custodial benefits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies