turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

themond

May husband passed away in April of 2018 - do i file one return for the 4 months he was alive, and then file a second return as single for the balance of 2018?

what is widows relief?  do i file 2 forms? (one for my husband and one for myself?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

May husband passed away in April of 2018 - do i file one return for the 4 months he was alive, and then file a second return as single for the balance of 2018?

You are still allowed to file as Married Filing Jointly (MFJ), for the year your spouse dies. For most people that is the best option, it takes care of both your husband's final return and your 2018 tax liability.

Either way, you file for a full year. Filing for part of the year is not allowed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

You are still allowed to file as Married Filing Jointly (MFJ), for the year your spouse dies. For most people that is the best option, it takes care of both your husband's final return and your 2018 tax liability.

Either way, you file for a full year. Filing for part of the year is not allowed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies