turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fgaranas

Married last year. filing jointly. I took the standard deduction, she itemized. I dont claim my state tax refund as income, but she does. How do i enter this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Married last year. filing jointly. I took the standard deduction, she itemized. I dont claim my state tax refund as income, but she does. How do i enter this.

Basically you ignore your refund and answer all the questions about the state refund as if they apply only to your wife. On the screen where you enter your state refund, enter only your wife's refund (even though it says "Total Refund Received"). A couple of screens later it asks whether you took the standard deduction or itemized in 2015. Select "I itemized my deductions in 2015." The next screen offers two choices. You can use either one. You can take the easy way out and just make the full amount of your wife's refund taxable. Or you can select the option to enter information from your 2015 tax return. If you do that, enter the information from your wife's 2015 tax return.

(Note to anyone else reading this: This solution only works because one spouse took the standard deduction in 2015.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Basically you ignore your refund and answer all the questions about the state refund as if they apply only to your wife. On the screen where you enter your state refund, enter only your wife's refund (even though it says "Total Refund Received"). A couple of screens later it asks whether you took the standard deduction or itemized in 2015. Select "I itemized my deductions in 2015." The next screen offers two choices. You can use either one. You can take the easy way out and just make the full amount of your wife's refund taxable. Or you can select the option to enter information from your 2015 tax return. If you do that, enter the information from your wife's 2015 tax return.

(Note to anyone else reading this: This solution only works because one spouse took the standard deduction in 2015.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies