turbotax icon
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chxiany

Married jointly for federal tax and head of household for NY state tax

Can I filed as Head of household for NY state tax return (I'm qualified, I lived separately with my husband for the last 6 months of 2016 and have a baby to feed, I spent almost all of my money for rent and food) and then filed as married filing jointly for federal tax return together with my husband?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

No- you cannot file as Head of Household in NY if you file a joint federal return. That filing status would require you to have filed as HOH on your federal return. You can file a separate tax return for NY, however.

If you file a joint federal return, you can choose not to file a joint NY return if:

A/ one spouse is a New York State resident and the other is a nonresident or part-year resident.

See page 13:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it201i.pdf

This option permits a joint federal filer to file with the Married Filing Separately status. It does not permit usage of the Head of Household status. The instructions specifically cite the option to use MFS, and don't cite having an option to use Head of Household. The general rule is that the status matches the federal return.

If you filed a joint federal return, this can be amended by 4/18/17. Perhaps you would have been better off filing Head of Household on your federal return as well?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Does your husband live in NY state?
chxiany

NO. He lives at another state
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

No- you cannot file as Head of Household in NY if you file a joint federal return. That filing status would require you to have filed as HOH on your federal return. You can file a separate tax return for NY, however.

If you file a joint federal return, you can choose not to file a joint NY return if:

A/ one spouse is a New York State resident and the other is a nonresident or part-year resident.

See page 13:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it201i.pdf

This option permits a joint federal filer to file with the Married Filing Separately status. It does not permit usage of the Head of Household status. The instructions specifically cite the option to use MFS, and don't cite having an option to use Head of Household. The general rule is that the status matches the federal return.

If you filed a joint federal return, this can be amended by 4/18/17. Perhaps you would have been better off filing Head of Household on your federal return as well?

chxiany

Thank you very much! That's very helpful and you response is so quick! Thanks again.
chxiany

We already filed as MFJ for the federal one month ago. I think now I have the only choice to file as MFS for the state return.
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You're welcome. You can amend to change to HOH on federal, but this must be done by 4/18/17. You can't amend a MFJ return after that- it'll be too late. Depending on your situation, HOH on NY isn't necessarily any or that much better than MFS on NY, so keep that in mind.
chxiany

Thank you! Really appreciate your help.
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Not a problem. Have a great day!
chxiany

You too!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies