Married filing Seperate and Itemized then Standard Deductions

I filed married filing seperate Standard deductions.  Then I realized it would be better for me to file married filing seperate Itemized deductions.  I'm working on amending my taxes now.  My wife is now preparing her taxes.  The program does not allow my wife to file Itemized deductions as I originally filed 'Standard deductions'.  Is there a way to get around this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If using the desktop version then yiu can switch to the forms mode and view the Information Worksheet.  Scroll down to part VI and there is a check box to indicate that your spouse is itemizing.

If one spouse itemized then both spouses must itemize even if that spouse has noting to itemize, they cannot take the standard deduction.    The interview at the state for marital status where yiu choose to file separately has a question about itemizing.

She can go back through My Info and say spouse it itemizing.

But may I ask why you are filing separate returns?  Sometimes people don't realize the differences between filing  Joint and MFS.

Unless you have a specific reason to file separate returns,

It is usually better to file Joint. Joint has the lowest tax rates and the highest Standard Deduction.   And if you are in a Community Property state MFS gets tricky to figure out.  Here's some things to consider about filing separately……

In the first place you each have to file a separate return, so that's two returns.  And if you are using the Online version that means using 2 accounts and paying the fees twice.  

Many people think they come out better when filing Married Filing Separate but they are probably doing it wrong.  If one person itemizes deductions then the other one must itemize too, even if it's less than the standard deduction, even if it is ZERO!  

And there are several credits you can't take when filing separately, like the

EITC Earned Income Tax Credit

Child Care Credit

Educational Deductions and Credits

And contributions to IRA and ROTH IRA are limited when you file MFS.

Also if you file Married Filing Separately up to 85`% of your Social Security becomes taxable right away even with zero other income.

See …….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-...

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, we want to both file Itemized but since I originally filed standard the program does not let my wife file Itemized.  Humm...

Are you using the CD/download version installed on your computer?

Yes.

@zumacruise - any reason you are filing 'married-separate' - 96% of the married couples in this country file joint.  Normally it is to your DISADVANTAGE to file married-separate.