i080415

Married filing separately, is claiming alimony legal? TurboTax let me do it, is there a section of the tax code that addresses this?

I have filed as "married filing separately" for a few years now. My spouse and I are following a separation agreement which we arrived at through mediation. We are not legally divorced yet. As part of the separation agreement, I have been paying Alimony already for 6+ years. TurboTax let me do it so I assumed it was legal. I am now applying for a home mortgage and underwriting is requesting the a reference to the tax code that indicates that this practice is legal. Can you help?