Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gtech875s
New Member

Married filing separately, how do we report our refund back that we got together (filed jointly last year)?

 
1 Reply
SeanE1
New Member

Married filing separately, how do we report our refund back that we got together (filed jointly last year)?

Just split the amount in half and each of you take 50% of the refund or you can divide the total in proportion to each of your earnings.  For example, if one spouse earns 75% of the household income, let that spouse take 75% of the refund and the other spouse will take the other 25%.


• Open up your Turbotax program and select the Federal Taxes tab at the top left of your screen

• Select Wages & Income and I’ll choose what I work on

• On your 2016 Income Summary Page, scroll down to the 1099-MISC and Other Common Income section, and select the Start or Update button to the right of the line that reads State and Local Tax Refunds on Form 1099-G

• On the next page, State and Local Tax Refund Summary, enter your 1099-G. 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v