turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

miu56789

Married filing jointly. Spouse must file FBAR, while I don't need to, but name/SSN on tax return would be mine. How to answer Schedule B part III "is FBAR required"?

My spouse has over 10k in foreign assets (in their name only) and is required to file FBAR.

I do not have any foreign assets over 10k and therefore believe I am not required to file FBAR.

I'm not sure how to fill out Schedule B, the part where it asks if FinCEN form 1114/FBAR is required, since I am not required to file FBAR, but my spouse (who is not the "main" person on the return) is required to file FBAR:

• Do I say "no" because I am not and it is my SSN on schedule B?
  • Or do I say "yes" because my spouse is required to do so?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ToddL

Married filing jointly. Spouse must file FBAR, while I don't need to, but name/SSN on tax return would be mine. How to answer Schedule B part III "is FBAR required"?

You would answer "Yes" - if your spouse is required to comply with Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) rules and you are filing a joint return.

Although only one spouse's SSN (yours) is used to identify and process a joint tax return, the other spouse's (your wife's) SSN is equally considered as part of the return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies