turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married file separately: Do I need to create a different account for spouse? Or do I enter all of the information on the same filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Married file separately: Do I need to create a different account for spouse? Or do I enter all of the information on the same filing?

You will have to create a New account with a New unique user ID to start another tax return for your spouse.

See this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894512-how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-online

So, do I omit all of the info relating to him from my current return? or is it automatically omitted?

Did you create this 2016 return originally as Married Filing Jointly?  Also, did you file your 2015 tax return as Married Filing Jointly and transfer the 2015 tax data to the 2016 tax return?

Yes and yes

Well...In this case you are going to have to remove every entry for your spouse on this tax return.  All income from any source where he was listed as either receiving the income or jointly owned the income.  All deductions associated with him or jointly with him on the return.  All schedules where he was the owner or was jointly the owner.
Then after this you will have enter only your income and deductions.  Then go through the Review section where you will probably be shown multiple area's on the return that needs to be corrected because something was missed in the deletions of his information.

It would be easier and far more accurate for you to create a New account with a New user ID and start a new tax return with only your information with the MFS status.  On that return you only have to enter his name and Social Security number.  As stated in the following TurboTax support FAQ - "unless you already transferred info over from last year's joint return, in which case it's best to start over with a brand new return that has nothing transferred over"
See this TurboTax support FAQ for switching from filing as MFJ to MFS - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895311-how-do-i-switch-from-filing-jointly-to-filing-separately">...>

Also see this TurboTax support FAQ for filing jointly versus separately - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...>

And if you live in a community property state, that opens up another can of worms entirely when filing as Married Filing Separately - Community property states are: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.
See this TurboTax support FAQ for Married Filing Separately in Community Property States - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states">ht...>
BethanyJ

You will need one account for yourself and one for your spouse.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies