chapt

Married and filing separately: How do I determine which deduction (Itemized or Standard) for spouse, if spouse is not filing?

It says that my Itemized will be the best way, but needed to know which one my spouse is using the Itemized or Standard.  He will not be filing (did not make enough $ to file).

MichaelMc

If your spouse is not filing a 2016 federal income tax return, and you are Married Filing Separately, you may choose to itemize or take the standard deduction, whichever proves to be more advantageous for you. Enter your potential itemized deductions and TurboTax will help you make that choice.

Should your spouse later choose to file or be required to file, your spouse will be constrained to use whichever method (standard or itemized) you chose for your tax return. 

For further information, please see IRS Pub. 501 Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information.

MichaelMc

r-gmz-mtz

Your statement;"Should your spouse later choose to file or be required to file, your spouse will be constrained to use whichever method (standard or itemized) you chose for your tax return.", contradicts another found on this site.

According to a similar scenario, "recommended answer" if one itemizes, both have to. The recommended answer referenced the rule of "itemizing filing separate"where no matter who itemizes it will require the other to do the same, forcefully.