turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Legal Expenses

I have legal expenses associated with keeping my employment.  However, when I input into TurboTax Deluxe for 2019, it does not allow it.  How do I enter it into the program?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Legal Expenses

Legal expenses are no longer deductible, even when they are employment-related.  The tax laws that went into effect for 2018 and beyond changed that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Legal Expenses

Employment discrimination legal fees are still deductible. 

Legal Expenses

I am having the same problem. The prompts in the program also state employment discrimination legal fees are deductible. 

Legal Expenses

I believe they are.  I am going to research it further.  Thanks.

Legal Expenses

They are still allowed but only as an above-the-line deduction, not a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A and the expense has to be entered in a specific manner in TurboTax (see the link below).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/how-do-i-enter-legal-fees-for-un...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies