simonetrailor

Least expensive turbotax version I can use? Married filing separately with self-employed husband in community property state? Don't need the online assist!

Texas Roger

The least expensive version that includes a state return is the CD/download Deluxe product. It has all the forms need for your income and expenses and you can prepare both married filing separately tax return with one purchase. 

If you want the online product, you would be required to use the Self Employed version for self employment income and expenses. You would have to set up and purchase two different accounts since only one return can be prepared in each account. 

Here is a link to buy whatever product you decide on: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Click on Products & Pricing to choose between CD/download and online. 

Texas Roger

Texas Roger

The price for the online product is for federal only. State is an additional $39.99 per state. The CD/download of Deluxe would be the least expensive for what you need. Why are you filing separately instead of jointly? In a community property state, nearly everything must be split on married filing separately tax returns making them much more complex. Married filing jointly tax returns almost always result in less taxes than two married filing separately returns.
simonetrailor

My husbands income is not that high but my main reason is that my refund would be eaten up by what he owes. I also don't want to be liable if there ever were a discrepancy on his tax return. Last year, I made the mistake of buying the expensive version of turbotax (with online assist). Thank you for your response!

If you or he has a low income, There is also The Turbo Tax Free File website which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like the full 1040 return and Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

In order to use the Turbo Tax Free File, you have to start it at a special website:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom">http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom</a>

When you get to Tax Freedom use the link to "I Qualify, Start Now" at the bottom instead of the sign in link. And you have to create a new account, if you use the same account info it will take you back to Turbo Tax.

I believe that MFS returns in Comm  Prop states must be filed by mail.