turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doryabm18

Last year i got a $1000 more on my federal refund than this year. my twin brother got the same amount he did last year, i am wondering why i am missing a $1000 this time

i am missing a step in my federal refund that should give me 1000 dollars more, i got it in 2015 and so did my brother, who also got it this year too.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Last year i got a $1000 more on my federal refund than this year. my twin brother got the same amount he did last year, i am wondering why i am missing a $1000 this time

Yes compare this year with last year line by line.
You can (and should) preview your return.   To preview your Online return, go to My Account at the top.  Then Tools, then View Tax summary.  Then you can click on Preview My 1040 at the top.

OR click Review near the top of your screen, and then click Summary right below it.  Then Near the bottom of the We Guarantee Your Maximum Refund screen, click the Preview Return link.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes compare this year with last year line by line.
You can (and should) preview your return.   To preview your Online return, go to My Account at the top.  Then Tools, then View Tax summary.  Then you can click on Preview My 1040 at the top.

OR click Review near the top of your screen, and then click Summary right below it.  Then Near the bottom of the We Guarantee Your Maximum Refund screen, click the Preview Return link.
doryabm18

Hello,

thank you for the help, but i can  only view my 2016 tax return . i cannot check my 2015 one, how do i check the 2015 return ?

No one on Answer Xchange can see your return.  There are are lot of variables that affect your refund or tax due including how much you earned, how much tax you had withheld, your filing status, the number of dependents you claim, your deductions and credits, etc.  You may have lost Earned Income Credit or the Child Tax Credit. Or do you have a healthcare penalty?  The best way to find the difference is to print and compare 2015 and 2016 side by side

And of course, always check your own data entries, looking for errors such as misplaced decimals or extra zeros.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
doryabm18

it is all the same , exactly nothing has changed, i am a student, my federal is even the same as last year, it is just missing the $1000. my brother was doing his and after couple steps it bumped $1000 , just like last years. mine did not this year. i know this is confusing , but i need to know how to fix that
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies