mlb576

Last name change

I legally changed my name on Jan 3 of 2019 and accidentally put my new name on my 2018 tax return. I have already filed.  Will it get rejected? Can I correct this in any way?

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.

TomK

Last name change

Unfortunately, as you have already e-filed there is not much you can do.  However, the IRS will match your social security with your name and if it was not changed with social security office, they will contact you to provide additional verification.  If you did change with the social security office, you should have no problem.  Any documentation needed the IRS will request, you currently do not have to do anything.

Last name change

If your return is rejected with your new name, you can change back to your previous name and resubmit it. Sometimes the IRS database lags behind changes by the Social Security Administration.
TomK

Last name change

13canchola

Last name change

Conchola 

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing