turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

miemt21

Do I need to upgrade to the deluxe version?

I have a 1098, 1099, and W-2
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Based on what you said, Federal Free Edition should work for you; W-2 and 1099-INT income can be filed with either short form (1040-A or 1040-EZ). However, there may be other issues (such as HSA contributions) that require a long form in your case; I can't be 100% certain as no one here can see your return. All I can see is your post is already tagged as Deluxe; if you haven't filed, you can clear your return thru the My Account menu and start over.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

What kind of 1099 income do you have? Will your itemized deductions exceed your Federal and/or state standard deductions (needed to determine if the 1098 is relevant)?
miemt21

1099-INT and I do not exceed the standard deduction for either the federal or state.

Based on what you said, Federal Free Edition should work for you; W-2 and 1099-INT income can be filed with either short form (1040-A or 1040-EZ). However, there may be other issues (such as HSA contributions) that require a long form in your case; I can't be 100% certain as no one here can see your return. All I can see is your post is already tagged as Deluxe; if you haven't filed, you can clear your return thru the My Account menu and start over.

Note that the qualifications for Free Edition changed for 2018 returns due to the elimination of the two short forms. Now, the return must be a 1040 with no schedules or additional forms except Schedule EIC (for EITC), Schedule 8812 (for child tax credit), and any W-2s & 1099s that don't themselves require another schedule. However, the result in this case is the same, especially since the standard deduction is now even higher. (The one major situation that now does NOT qualify for Free Edition is unemployment compensation; that could be filed on a 1040A or 1040EZ before, but it now requires a 1040 plus Schedule 1 so it doesn't qualify.)

I am in the current situation.  BUT THE SYSTEM WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO UPGRADE.  I CLEARED THE RETURN TWICE.  SELECTED AND TRIED TO START WITH DELUXE BUT IT KEEPS TAKING ME BACK TO FREE FILE.  HOW CAN I BYPASS THIS
md93571

youre in freedom edition

@keoshamakel89 Free File Edition (formerly Freedom Edition) has different limitations than regular Free Edition. If you meet the rules for Free File Edition (currently anyone with AGI < $34,000, active duty military with AGI < $66,000, or qualify for EITC), you can file almost any return. However, due to a new IRS Free File restriction this year, if you don't meet the rules you can't upgrade to Deluxe or higher from Free File Edition as in the past; you will have to start over with a different TurboTax account from the main turbotax.com website.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies