turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbeditor1

Turbotax won't allow me to choose HOH. 22 y.o. FT student lives with me 8 Mo. a year. software only gives me "Single" instead of HOH, which I used before. Why? Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax won't allow me to choose HOH. 22 y.o. FT student lives with me 8 Mo. a year. software only gives me "Single" instead of HOH, which I used before. Why? Help!

Thanks for posting back that you solved it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Is the student your child?  Is it letting you claim them as a dependent?  You may have answered a question wrong.

If your child was away at college, count the number of months away as having lived with you.  The correct answer to claim the person is to say "the whole year". This will indicate you supported the person the whole year, thus it will be entered on your return correctly showing up as a dependent.  

Or the one that says did your CHILD pay more than half of their support.  It's not asking if you did.
jbeditor1

Yes the student is my child, forgot to say that. And when I claim head of household it asks me to add the dependent which I do, including all the information: DOB, SS#, full time student.  Child earns no $, I pay all of their support.  Seems to be a bug in the software I think.
jbeditor1

Sorry posted twice, I wasn't sure if the first one went through.  I actually posted last Sunday and received no notification or responses.
jbeditor1

Just went back and retried and it worked.  Not sure what I did, but I believe you're right in that I answered something incorrectly.  Thank you so much for your assistance!

Thanks for posting back that you solved it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies