turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmedlen69

If I have a W-2G, do I have to use the Deluxe version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

In Online TurboTax, a W-2G requires Deluxe or higher.   i.e., Deluxe would be the minimum product.   And in the Deluxe edition, a state return is 39.99 (discounted now to 36.99.)

All of the desktop editions can handle a W-2G.

If the W-2G is the only reason that you need Deluxe or higher, you can consider the other free product--the FREEDOM Edition, if you meet just ONE of the qualifications below.  The Freedom Edition (not to be confused with regular Free Edition) can handle a W-2G.

The Freedom Edition has free Federal preparation AND free State preparation. There is no efiling fee. 

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, F and enter K-1 that the Free Edition cannot.  It will prepare a Form 1040 return, or 1040A or 1040EZ.

For Freedom Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications: 

•  AGI of $33,000 or less
  •  or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2017 AGI of $66,000 or less
  •  or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREEDOM Edition is located at the following site:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

Here's how to switch and start over in Freedom Edition (requires new account at the Freedom website)
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

@jmedlen69
I added a warning above that if you do move to Deluxe, then there is a few for the state return (currently 36.99; later in filing season will be 39.99).     The FREEDOM Edition I described has no fees and will not have any fees later in the season.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies