turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i delete federal tax return and start over ? I can't find tools.

how do i delete federal tax return and start over ?  I can't find tools.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

EDITED:  3/13/2018

NOTE:  This was originally a thread from 3 years ago, and the "look" of the TurboTax website has changed since the original answer.  Here are the current navigation steps:

Here's how to clear an online return and start over.  A return that has been paid for or registered cannot be cleared.

• Sign in and open your return ("Take me to my return.")
  • Once the return is open and past the blue-green screen, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then select "Clear & Start Over."

Original answer from 3 years ago  (February 2015)

Here's how to clear an online return and start over.  A return that has been paid for cannot be cleared.

In order to clear, your return must be open.

• Sign in to TurboTax.
  • At your Tax Timeline 2014, click on "Continue your return."
  • Once the return is open, click way at the top on MY ACCOUNT.  Then in the dropdown menu choose "Clear and start over."

View solution in original post

23 Replies

EDITED:  3/13/2018

NOTE:  This was originally a thread from 3 years ago, and the "look" of the TurboTax website has changed since the original answer.  Here are the current navigation steps:

Here's how to clear an online return and start over.  A return that has been paid for or registered cannot be cleared.

• Sign in and open your return ("Take me to my return.")
  • Once the return is open and past the blue-green screen, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then select "Clear & Start Over."

Original answer from 3 years ago  (February 2015)

Here's how to clear an online return and start over.  A return that has been paid for cannot be cleared.

In order to clear, your return must be open.

• Sign in to TurboTax.
  • At your Tax Timeline 2014, click on "Continue your return."
  • Once the return is open, click way at the top on MY ACCOUNT.  Then in the dropdown menu choose "Clear and start over."

frank1

I don't need OR WANT to start over completely.  There's only one number that's incorrect.

@Frank
 Are you using Online TurboTax?   What is it you need to know?  We can't see what you are doing.  Have you already filed or still preparing your return?
frank1

Thanks!  I found the way to change the incorrect number.
jiaoshui

I have the same question. For some reason, I created two tax returns. I need to delete one of them and I cannot find anywhere I can delete it.  By the way, I bought TT Home & Business CD, not online version.

@jiaoshui
In the desktop product, there are a couple of ways to delete a tax return file you don't need.  

One way to delete a return file is just like the method you use to delete any file you don't want on your computer.  In Windows, for instance, one would use Windows Explorer to show the file directory and locate the return file you don't want.   TT data files are usually in the \My Documents\TurboTax folder unless you specified another location.   Be sure you choose the correct one to delete.

The other way is through the TurboTax product itself.   Launch TurboTax.   In the Windows version, for instance, on the home screen it should show you large icons for the returns you have been working on.   Click once on the one you don't want, and it will be "selected" (a border will appear around the icon).   Then press the DELETE key on your computer.    A popup will ask you if you want to delete it from the TurboTax program, or if you want to delete it from your computer.     If you choose "Delete from TurboTax", it only removes it from that interface--i.e., it just doesn't display when you launch TurboTax, but is still present on your computer.  To completely delete it, you choose "Delete from TurboTax AND your computer".

can i ONLY delete federal return and keep the  state returns?

if  i click my account then clear&start over, will this clear federal and state or federal only?

@navinkumar17   It will clear everything.  If you clear and start over, then you will have to choose a product and start from square one.   You cannot delete a Federal return and keep the state return.  You don't have to file the Federal return, however.   You can file just the state return if you wish (you still have to pay for the Federal, of course, unless it is a free product).  You cannot efile a State return, however, unless the Federal is being efiled at the same time or has been efiled previously.  You would have to mail a state return if the Federal is not being efiled at the same time or wasn't efiled previously.

Thanks from your reply. I still have few ques.
2. My plan is to file federal somewhere else for free.
3. But like to file state (for 2 state) through using turbo online service.
4. Do i file the federal first and then come to turbo to file for states portion?
5. When i file for states in turbo, do i print out both federal and states and only file for state portion (by mail)? By doing this do i still pay for federal? Which service is good for me in turbo? in order to avoid to pay for federal.

The only way to prepare a state return in TurboTax is to prepare a Federal return.  If you are using a paid edition, you would have to pay for the Federal and the State, but don't have to file the Federal
If you print out the State,  unless you are using the Free Edition, you would still have to pay for Federal and State, since Federal is required to prepare the State.

You might qualify for the FREEDOM Edition (NOT to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  The Freedom Edition has both free Federal AND free State. Efiling is free.  But you have to meet just ONE of the qualifications below.

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot.  It will prepare a Form 1040 or 1040A or 1040EZ.

A user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

1) AGI of $31,000 or less
    or
2) active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2014 AGI of $60,000 or less
   or
3) eligible for EIC (Earned Income Credit.)

The FREEDOM Edition is located at:
<a href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom</a>

How to switch and start over (requires new account at Freedom website):
<a href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition</a>

NOTE:  The Freedom Edition will not directly transfer 2013 info prepared in a non-Freedom Edition into a 2014 Freedom Edition return.   And next year cannot directly transfer a 2014 Freedom Edition return into a 2015 "regular" non-Freedom Edition return.  It can only directly transfer from Freedom to Freedom each year.
peig
Returning Member

Deleting and starting over. ?  I had the same problem so I started my

state taxes and then I was able to go back and change all info for fed&state..

(Used premier turbo)  GLTU

Graciel30

I filed it and it said it was accepted. So I deleted this TurboTax account to start all over again . Would that losing the tax return refund ? Would it stop irs from accepting my tax return? 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If your Federal tax return has been accepted, then it can only by corrected or updated  by a subsequent amended tax return.

It sounds like the IRS will be issuing you the refund that you requested.

The steps to start over are as follows:

Click Tax Tools, then Clear and start over at the bottom left of the screen.

You can try clearing and starting over but I don’t think you can if you tried to file.

Also please see here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies