Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ken31

My wife & I file joint return. we earn $45K per year. If we sell $100K mutual funds that we purchase 5 years ago for $50K will our long term capital gain be 0% or 15%?

The reason I ask is because my broker said that if the long term capital gains( $50K) on the sale along with our $45K salary took us above $75,900 that our capital gains would go from 0% to 15%.  I have never seen this mentioned before in the discussion of capital gains.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife & I file joint return. we earn $45K per year. If we sell $100K mutual funds that we purchase 5 years ago for $50K will our long term capital gain be 0% or 15%?

It would be taxed at 0%

Your total income would be $95,000.  After the Standard Deduction and your personal exemptions, your "taxable income" would be less than $75,000.  That would put all of the gain in the 0% capital gain bracket (the 'regular' tax bracket of 15%).

View solution in original post

6 Replies

It would be taxed at 0%

Your total income would be $95,000.  After the Standard Deduction and your personal exemptions, your "taxable income" would be less than $75,000.  That would put all of the gain in the 0% capital gain bracket (the 'regular' tax bracket of 15%).

Assuming no 2017 tax law changes.

[ -- -- ]

OK please ignore my post. I misread the total wages involved. Sorry.
TomD8
Level 15

Your broker is correct.  The maximum taxable income on a joint return for the 0% capital gains rate is $75,300.  (2016) 

This web reference might help explain:  http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/capital-gains-tax-rates-1.aspx

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

State taxes may be different.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies