Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wrong state on w2

i received long term disability insurance i had federal withheld I did not have state withheld.the insurance co. has WI in box 15. i also received social security in 2018. the fact that it states wisconsin is this going to be an issue?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MaryEllen

Wrong state on w2

It will depend on the amount of the distribution reported to WI. If you are not a resident of Wi, and the amount reported is $2,000 or more, you will need to file a WI non-resident tax return and show that the distribution was not for WI. It is the same if you are a part-year resident of WI. 

You should not have to pay any tax, just report that the income was earned in your state of residence. 

If you choose not to file a WI tax return, you will probably receive a letter from WI asking for the return, or for money. You can respond with that fact that you were a resident of your state when the money was received. 

Or you can ask the insurance company to correct the W-2. If you are continuing to receive the long-term disability payments, you will want to get the state corrected for 2019, if not for 2018. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies