turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

samie2386

It tells me I don't qualify for an injured spouse claim, but I have claimed it in the past because my husband owes back child support.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyW

It tells me I don't qualify for an injured spouse claim, but I have claimed it in the past because my husband owes back child support.

It's possible that you may have filled out the innocent spouse section and that is why you were unable to proceed with Injured Spouse, so you will want to go through that section very carefully. 

Form 8379 (Injured Spouse) is filed when the overpayment on your jointly filed tax return was (or is expected to be) applied to a past-due obligation of your spouse. By filing Form 8379, you may be able to get back your share of the joint refund.
The IRS advises that you should allow an additional eleven weeks to process your return, leading to similar delays in any refund you are due.
To find the Injured Spouse section in Turbo Tax, click on Federal Taxes (on the top menu bar) and then Other Tax Situations.  When the page opens, scroll down to the bottom and select the very last item, Miscellaneous Tax Forms.  When the list of miscellaneous forms opens up, look for "Report an injured or innocent spouse claim".  As you work through the form be sure you only answer the Injured Spouse questions (not the Innocent Spouse questions). 
Note:  You will need to click through several pages of Innocent Spouse questions before you get to the Injured Spouse section. 

If you are filing the Injured Spouse Form on its own (after e-filing your return), you will mail it to the IRS location for your state.  Include a copy of all W-2 forms and any 1099 forms showing federal tax withholding, for both spouses.  You can find the mailing address for your location using this link (use the 'not including a payment' address):   IRS Mailing Addresses for Injured Spouse Form

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies