Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

j-bran

I need to list unemployment compensation from 1099-G, but the choices in turbo tax do not apply to unemployment. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I need to list unemployment compensation from 1099-G, but the choices in turbo tax do not apply to unemployment. What do I do?

It sounds like you might be in the wrong section.  There can be multiple types of 1099G payments and there are two sections - one specifically for unemployment and one for all other 1099G payments.  So you will want to enter unemployment using the following steps -

• Log into your account and hit Take Me to My Return (must click this before searching)
  • Click the search icon in the top right-hand corner of your screen (magnifying glass)
  • Search for "unemployment compensation
  • Click the "jump to unemployment compensation" link that appears.

Note:  Each state does their 1099G a bit differently, so the box numbers may not match exactly what TurboTax has listed, so just enter the information as it corresponds to your form (i.e. box 4 for Federal income tax withheld may not show on your form as box 4 but the amount of federal tax withheld, if any, would be listed on your form)

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It sounds like you might be in the wrong section.  There can be multiple types of 1099G payments and there are two sections - one specifically for unemployment and one for all other 1099G payments.  So you will want to enter unemployment using the following steps -

• Log into your account and hit Take Me to My Return (must click this before searching)
  • Click the search icon in the top right-hand corner of your screen (magnifying glass)
  • Search for "unemployment compensation
  • Click the "jump to unemployment compensation" link that appears.

Note:  Each state does their 1099G a bit differently, so the box numbers may not match exactly what TurboTax has listed, so just enter the information as it corresponds to your form (i.e. box 4 for Federal income tax withheld may not show on your form as box 4 but the amount of federal tax withheld, if any, would be listed on your form)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies