Why is my federal refund so high

my federal return is almost half my income a large five figures.

Why is my federal refund so high

It sounds as though a number or numbers were entered incorrectly.

Please go back to your input screens and compare the numbers entered to any forms that report withholding.  It sounds as though you put in a number without the decimal point.  (For example $4,500.68 as $450068.)  Or you simply have a typo!

Since you are using the TurboTax CD/Download version, you can also click on Forms in the upper right corner and scroll to the Tax Payments worksheet.  If the only withholding shown on the worksheet is from W-2's, then look at your Form W-2 entries.

When you find the error simply re-input the withholding amount.

Why is my federal refund so high