turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mike3951

My wife filed for unemployment nov 12 2016 there was an error in spelling of name she didnt recieve any unemployment benefits until 1/10/2017 at which time she recieved payment for 5 weeks in 2016 should it be claimed year recieved or go by weeks it was f

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

My wife filed for unemployment nov 12 2016 there was an error in spelling of name she didnt recieve any unemployment benefits until 1/10/2017 at which time she recieved payment for 5 weeks in 2016 should it be claimed year recieved or go by weeks it was f

It should be claimed in the year received, however the state unemployment department may issue a Form 1099G for 2016, if that is when they issued and released the money to her. 

If you received a Form 1099G for 2016, for your wife, check with them to see if they will issue a correction.  If you did not receive one, then you do not report the income on your 2016 tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

It should be claimed in the year received, however the state unemployment department may issue a Form 1099G for 2016, if that is when they issued and released the money to her. 

If you received a Form 1099G for 2016, for your wife, check with them to see if they will issue a correction.  If you did not receive one, then you do not report the income on your 2016 tax return.

Manage cookies