turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

messpac

It says I got the child tax credit of $1000 why is it not added to my federal refund amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

It says I got the child tax credit of $1000 why is it not added to my federal refund amount?

The Child Tax Credit is worth $1,000 but that does not mean you get a refund of $1,000. The Child Tax Credit reduces your taxes. It is not a refundable credit like the Earned Income Credit (EIC).

If your taxes are $507, TurboTax uses part of the $1,000 Child Tax Credit, to pay the $507 so you get what is left, the $493. For additional information, see  What is the Child Tax Credit?

NoteIf you have other credits, TurboTax will take a portion of each of those credits and split them among the tax owed. 

You may qualify for the Additional Child Tax Credit. If you do, TurboTax will calculate it. See  What is the Additional Child Tax Credit?

If your income is too high, the Child Tax Credit is also reduced. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

The Child Tax Credit is worth $1,000 but that does not mean you get a refund of $1,000. The Child Tax Credit reduces your taxes. It is not a refundable credit like the Earned Income Credit (EIC).

If your taxes are $507, TurboTax uses part of the $1,000 Child Tax Credit, to pay the $507 so you get what is left, the $493. For additional information, see  What is the Child Tax Credit?

NoteIf you have other credits, TurboTax will take a portion of each of those credits and split them among the tax owed. 

You may qualify for the Additional Child Tax Credit. If you do, TurboTax will calculate it. See  What is the Additional Child Tax Credit?

If your income is too high, the Child Tax Credit is also reduced. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies