turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dvankat

Estimated Taxes for Independent Contractor

In 2016 am earning income both as a salaried employee (with a W2) and as an independent contractor. This is the first year I have earned income as an independent contractor. My withholdings on my W2 have not been adjusted to account for any independent contractor income.  Do I need to pay 2016 estimated taxes on a quarterly basis? If yes, can I do that in TurboTax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

It's recommended that you make estimated tax payments during 2016 to avoid an underpayment penalty.  TurboTax can help you calculate the amount you should pay each quarter.  Please type quarterly payments in the search box and Jump to that section of TurboTax.  Skip the question about adjusting your W-4, and the next screen will offer to review your estimated payments.  Select yes and proceed through the interview.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

It's recommended that you make estimated tax payments during 2016 to avoid an underpayment penalty.  TurboTax can help you calculate the amount you should pay each quarter.  Please type quarterly payments in the search box and Jump to that section of TurboTax.  Skip the question about adjusting your W-4, and the next screen will offer to review your estimated payments.  Select yes and proceed through the interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies