turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my son, who just got married 12/8/17, even though he lived with me and did not work and attended high school last year? He lived with me for 11 of 12 mos?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim my son, who just got married 12/8/17, even though he lived with me and did not work and attended high school last year? He lived with me for 11 of 12 mos?

It is their choice. If they file a Joint return, you cannot claim him (nor can her parents claim her).

However, if they had no 2017 income, there is no reason for them to file a return, nor any benefit to doing so.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Are he and his wife filing a Joint return?

Yes, and she has a child. They have only been together for a month. The only got married for tax purposes

It is their choice. If they file a Joint return, you cannot claim him (nor can her parents claim her).

However, if they had no 2017 income, there is no reason for them to file a return, nor any benefit to doing so.

Thank you, they both worked very minimal.

Then they will get the EIC.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies