turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Small taxpayer safe harbor reporting

everytime i go through the questions instead of sending me to miscellaneous expenses it sends me to assets.  should i just manually put these in as miscellaneous expense, but then how does the safe harbor form get generated??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Answer updated - make the election and then go back and add misc. expenses.  Images attached.  

DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

It is sending you to Assets because that is where you make the safe harbor election.  When you start the Assets section, TurboTax will ask you if you made any purchases of less than $2500.  Answer YES.  This will trigger the election questions, see image below.   After you make the election, you can enter these expenses in the Expenses sections, see image attached.   Click through the screens and Misc. expense will be the last screen, see image attached.  You will still be prompted to list assets costing over $2500 in the Assets section.  

thanks  i don't see the business tab on my TT premier.  this is for rental property. is this a different version?
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

My screenshots are from the desktop version.  You will see Rental and Royalty section under Wages & Income but it is the same screens - they just look different - I will add some screenshots of the Online version.  That is my bad - I thought you were using the Desktop, but I see you are using Online now...
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Updated images 🙂

thank you.  so i get those screens but i don't get sent to the miscellaneous one.  i have to go to it myself.  is that how you do it?  
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you have to go there yourself.  And yes, look at those screenshots - you will go to rentals, then expenses, scroll through and the last screen of the ''Expenses'' section ask about miscellaneous expenses - and this is where you will put all of your ''safe harbor'' election items......under 2500....the things that cost over 2500  still go in assets...
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies