turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yea1574

I got married in 2018. My husband collects disability but not enough to file. Should I file jointly? Or married filing separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got married in 2018. My husband collects disability but not enough to file. Should I file jointly? Or married filing separately?

It is almost always better to file married filing jointly even if a spouse has little or no income. You get double the standard deduction by filing jointly.

See this FAQ for many reasons why MFJ is better than MFS: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

It is almost always better to file married filing jointly even if a spouse has little or no income. You get double the standard deduction by filing jointly.

See this FAQ for many reasons why MFJ is better than MFS: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

Hal_Al
Level 15

It may appear that  your spouse's SSDI is being added to your income, but you still wlll usually come out better filing MFJ.
The statement "his disability is not enough to file" may be changed by the marriage. If you file as MFS, your spouse's status also become MFS and his SS disability income taxable

Social security (including SSDI) becomes taxable when your income, including 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year: $0

Manage cookies