turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It does not give me the option to pay my fees with my federal refund. None of the reasons why apply to me. Is it because I’m filing in October?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

It does not give me the option to pay my fees with my federal refund. None of the reasons why apply to me. Is it because I’m filing in October?

@williams-bryan 

First of all, your Federal refund must be large enough to cover the TurboTax fees plus the additional service charge for that option, which is $40 ($45 for California filers.)   You will avoid that service fee if you pay the TurboTax fees upfront with credit or debit card.

Here are some other reasons why you may not be offered the pay-out-of-refund option:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-can-t-i-deduct-my-turbotax-fees-from-my-...

@williams-bryan 

ADDENDUM:

If you don't qualify for the pay-out-of-refund option, then you can pay by credit/debit card as long as the card has a USA billing address and one of the logos mentioned next.    Or if you don't have one, you could buy a prepaid debit card at a store as long it has the Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express logo and a US billing address.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you can no longer e-file with TT. therefore, any TT fees can't be taken out of your refund. 

@ williams-bryan 

You may still be able to efile before Saturday's deadline if you see this message at the Tax Home after logging in (see image below), as long as you started your return by October 15.  

October31.png

BTW, as per the late filing fees that message mentions, if you are getting a Federal refund, there is no penalty for a late Federal return.

If the option to efile is presented in the FILE section, then it can't hurt to try.  Are you seeing that option when you go to choose a filing method?

However, the deadline is October 31 at 9 PM Pacific to try to efile a return that you've already started.  After that deadline all efiling of 2019 returns will shut down.    So you might as well try to efile and see if it lets you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies