turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in one state and worked in another. My question is when I came to the KY portion of income one part shows federal total other shows KY do I put same amount in both

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in one state and worked in another. My question is when I came to the KY portion of income one part shows federal total other shows KY do I put same amount in both

It depends.  You might not need to file a KY return at all, because Indiana and KY are reciprocal states and agree that you are only taxed in your home state of Indiana.  Look at boxes 15-17 on your W-2, and see if there is a line for KY and taxes withheld to KY in Box 17.  (If taxes are showing in Box 19, for local taxes, I describe below how to handle this).  If there is nothing in Box 17 for KY, then delete the KY return.  You won't need it.

If there are taxes withheld in Box 17 for KY, then you will file a nonresident reciprocal return (and not a regular nonresident return) for KY.  Your taxes withheld to KY state will be refunded to you.  But you will owe Indiana tax on this same income.

On your Indiana return, you may claim a credit for the local tax you pay to Louisville.  See the following instructions to do this: 

1. Make sure on the W2 screen (on the Federal side of the return) that the local tax information in boxes 18-20 is associated with Kentucky.
  2. Make sure (on the Indiana return) you fill out the correct residency information, including your count of residency and Out of state, Kentucky  as your county of employment.
  3. After several screens, you will come to a screen titled:  Take a look at Indiana credits and taxes.
  4. Under the subheading Personal, home, and family credits, click the Start box for Credit for Non-Indiana Local Taxes.
  5. Click Yes on the next screen.
  6. Fill in the appropriate information from your W-2 on the next screen entitled Credit for Non-Indiana Local Taxes.

You will then be credited for the amount you might have paid to the Kentucky locality up to the amount you are taxed in your Indiana county on this same income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

What state did you live in?

Indiana

Ok. Only thing showing in Box 17 is for IN, Box has something for IN an KY so I'm assuming with the information you have given me I delete the KY return?

Thank you. This answered my question 100%
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  You might not need to file a KY return at all, because Indiana and KY are reciprocal states and agree that you are only taxed in your home state of Indiana.  Look at boxes 15-17 on your W-2, and see if there is a line for KY and taxes withheld to KY in Box 17.  (If taxes are showing in Box 19, for local taxes, I describe below how to handle this).  If there is nothing in Box 17 for KY, then delete the KY return.  You won't need it.

If there are taxes withheld in Box 17 for KY, then you will file a nonresident reciprocal return (and not a regular nonresident return) for KY.  Your taxes withheld to KY state will be refunded to you.  But you will owe Indiana tax on this same income.

On your Indiana return, you may claim a credit for the local tax you pay to Louisville.  See the following instructions to do this: 

1. Make sure on the W2 screen (on the Federal side of the return) that the local tax information in boxes 18-20 is associated with Kentucky.
  2. Make sure (on the Indiana return) you fill out the correct residency information, including your count of residency and Out of state, Kentucky  as your county of employment.
  3. After several screens, you will come to a screen titled:  Take a look at Indiana credits and taxes.
  4. Under the subheading Personal, home, and family credits, click the Start box for Credit for Non-Indiana Local Taxes.
  5. Click Yes on the next screen.
  6. Fill in the appropriate information from your W-2 on the next screen entitled Credit for Non-Indiana Local Taxes.

You will then be credited for the amount you might have paid to the Kentucky locality up to the amount you are taxed in your Indiana county on this same income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies