turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dietzelc3

My son was 23yr and made 22K he was a full time student only came home a little. Can I claim him?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Phillip1

My son was 23yr and made 22K he was a full time student only came home a little. Can I claim him?

It depends on whether he provided more than half of his support with his income. The rules for claiming a full-time college student are as follows:

• He is under 19, or between the ages of 19 and 24 and;
  • He was a full time student for 2016
  1. To be a student, they must be, during some part of each of any 5 calendar months of the year:
    1. A full-time student at a school that has a regular teaching staff, course of study, and a regularly enrolled student body at the school, or
    2. A student taking a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school described in (1), or by a state, county, or local government agency.
  2. The 5 calendar months don't have to be consecutive.
  • He did not provide more than half of his own support.
    • This test is different from the support test to be a qualifying relative, which is described later. However, to see what is or isn't support, see Support Test (To Be a Qualifying Relative) , later. If you aren't sure whether a child provided more than half of his or her own support, you may find Worksheet 2 helpful.
  • He did not file a joint tax return.
    • An exception to the joint return test applies if your child and his or her spouse file a joint return only to claim a refund of income tax withheld or estimated tax paid.

If he paid for more than half of his support (like food, shelter, transportation, medical and dental, clothing, and recreation) with the money he earned, you cannot claim him as your dependent. Use worksheet 2 from page 16 of this PDF version of Publication 501.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies