turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is TurboTax Advantage worth doing?

I have been in the TurboTax Advantage program for years. I diligently pay the full price. This year $109.99 for TurboTax Home & Business 2018 w/Fed Efile & FREE State Download. I then see the same product at Costco and every place else for much less money. Besides the fact that TurboTax gets 100% of my full price money and does not need to share it with a retailer, is there any other advantage or am I just being played for a fool by TurboTax?

For example, is the price that I pay to file state and federal less than others pay so the net/net is I am paying less?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It’s all the same programs.  Buy it anywhere you want and can find it cheaper.  There is no other advantage than getting it as soon as it comes out.  And if you get the CD on the Advantage plan they also put the download in your account.  Costco usually has a coupon in January.   And even at Turbo Tax they might have lower prices during the year.  

The price is the same for everyone to file.  In the Desktop program you get 5 Federal Efiles for free.  The state is 19.99 to efile which goes up to 24.99 in March.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

It’s all the same programs.  Buy it anywhere you want and can find it cheaper.  There is no other advantage than getting it as soon as it comes out.  And if you get the CD on the Advantage plan they also put the download in your account.  Costco usually has a coupon in January.   And even at Turbo Tax they might have lower prices during the year.  

The price is the same for everyone to file.  In the Desktop program you get 5 Federal Efiles for free.  The state is 19.99 to efile which goes up to 24.99 in March.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

If you want to cancel, here’s how
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901052-how-do-i-cancel-my-turbotax-advantage-subscription">https:...>

I think there are advantageous of Advantage:  Eligible to download the software in case the CD is lost or broken, and a special Customer Support telephone number.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901492-what-s-the-advantage-of-turbotax-advantage">https://ttlc.i...>

Thank you all!

so happy that i am not the only person who feels they have been duped by Intuit. I was having difficulty downloading my advantage premier 2019 yesterday. i called this am for help and asked why i can get the same program cheaper at costco, walmart and many other stores saving me 30 to 60 dollars. and what am i getting for advantage premium. the response was, "it don't know" when asked who could answer she said "i guess the owner of the company"  I have used turbotax since its inception and years ago they gave out extra perks.  This is how they treat loyal customers...by ripping them off.  I canceled my subscription since there is no sense in getting the program early.  paperwork needed to complete taxes doesn't come out until after year end.  

who uses cd's anymore

There used to be advantages to the Advantage service but they have mostly  gone away ( only the dedicated line is a marginal advantage if you remember to use that number -  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/advantage/)  so buy the program from any reliable store/reseller you trust ... the price thru TT will only go up because they remove the discount as the season progresses  however the other sellers will lower the price as the season goes on or have specials/coupons available. 

CAUTION:  There are a lot of scam sites, so do not try to purchase from any "too-good-to-be-true" discount site on the Internet that you find in a search.   You might end up with pirated software, ID theft, malware, etc.   Only a few large well-known sites like Amazon, NewEgg, Staples, Office Depot, etc., are authorized to sell TurboTax downloads.

This year for 2019 programs will be a little different.  You will get a code to install the program.  So even if you buy the CD in a store (like Costco) there will be a code so you can download the program like if you don't have a CD drive.

What is a License Code and why do I need one?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-being-asked-for-a-license-code/01/872421

Where is the License Code?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/852973

One more thing that TT will not tell you outright ... ALL the downloaded versions can handle ALL the same forms and situations ... the higher levels just give you more "help/hand holding" so unless you want/need more assistance you can use the Deluxe version  for everything  ( the Basic version if you don't need to do a state return ) and save a few bucks.  Notice the screen says "recommended" NOT required ... 

1.PNG

I just cancelled as well.  Feel like I have been ripped off all of these years for being a loyal customer.  Agree with earlier posts about buying only from reputable sites, like Costco or Amazon.  In the past have bought supplemental TurboTax titles form Sears Marketplace of all places.

peterwb

You can buy a digital download at Amazon and they save it in your Amazon account "Digital Locker" incase you have to download again.

TurboTax Advantage?

1. $100 upfront as a member.

2. Pay higher retail price because you only buy one copy while Costco pay lower whole sale price and share some discounts with you!

The higher price you pay allows you get it when "it becomes available"!   Funny!  

IMHO  there is no real advantage to the ADVANTAGE program any longer  so just buy the program from a reputable reseller for less  and cancel your advantage account.   Many resellers have discounts on the program and the price usually goes down as the season continues ( cheaper in March than in December) but beware of deep discounts from unknown sources as they could have malware or worse imbedded in them ... if the price sounds too good to be true it is.    AND  all the downloaded programs have all the same forms so save a few bucks and just but the Deluxe (Basic if you don't need a state program) and watch closely as the Deluxe is sold outside of TT  system both  with & without the state program. 

There are only 3  so called "advantages" any longer  ...  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/advantage/

1) phone support from a dedicated number (word in the forum is you don't get any faster service using that number)

2) free shipping/download as soon as it is available  ( most places give free download ... and you don't really need the CD ever as it only has the beta version of the program on it anyway ... after installation you always have up update it  AND  no one needs the first beta version of the program in November which is not really fully operational until late January at the earliest ... some forms & states  not until March some years.  If you need to do any tax planning for the next tax year you need to use the prior year program which is already fully operational)

3)  free re-downloads for 3 years  ... all sellers do the same or you can always ask TT for another download for free

I looked around and found this.

https://surveyorconnect.com/community/software-cad-mapping/turbotax-advantage-cost/

Had it provided a locked in discount or paying in advance for a discount like pay for two years get the third for free I would do it. But when Sam's or Amazon has a better price than the Advantage program, it's not worth it. Even if it was the same as the resellers, price it's not worth it.  Since it's a downloaded program there are no shipping or distribution costs. They should be able to beat Amazon o Sam's  by more than 20% and still make bank.  Conclusion, buy it at a reseller each year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies