turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there an exemption from the health coverage penalty if I have a healthshare in Massachusetts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SDBaldie

Is there an exemption from the health coverage penalty if I have a healthshare in Massachusetts?

Hi - you might be, but you will need to check with them. Here is the info from healthcare.gov

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions-tool/#/results/2018/details/healthcare-sharing-ministry

Hope this helps. 

This link seems to be for the Federal government exemption, for which the healthshare does count to avoid penalty.  However, I need help for my state, Massachusetts, which has required "minimum creditable" health coverage rules, and doesn't seem to be in line with the federal rules.
SDBaldie

Got it, thanks for clarifying ... The exemptions are captured in the TurboTax flow ... did you go through it, including the hardship checkbox after TurboTax calculates the penalty?

From what I can find, there is no exemption in Massachusetts. Healthshares do not meet the requirements of the state's insurance mandate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies