turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a delay for the 2017 tax season again if you claimed a dependant or EIC? I know there was one for the 2016 year, but was curious about the 2017 year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Is there a delay for the 2017 tax season again if you claimed a dependant or EIC? I know there was one for the 2016 year, but was curious about the 2017 year?

The IRS estimates that most refunds are issued within 21 days.  However, just like last year, refunds with EIC will typically take longer than 21 days, especially at the beginning of the filing season.  The IRS doesn't expect to release any refunds with EIC until the end of February.

From the IRS: The IRS reminds taxpayers that, by law, the IRS cannot issue refunds claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) before mid-February. While the IRS will process those returns when received, it cannot issue related refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards starting on Feb. 27, 2018, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with the tax return.

and that delay is permanent for all years going forward.

is this the same with State refunds as well?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies