turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have one of my parents a qualified dependent.. But the amount for my dependant does not show.. Or will I have to submit first and then it will be applied?

So is that the amount we potentially can get 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have one of my parents a qualified dependent.. But the amount for my dependant does not show.. Or will I have to submit first and then it will be applied?

After you add that person as a dependent, you get a $4,050 Personal Exemption (deduction from income) before the tax is calculated.

There are no tax credits for a parent dependent.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Aren't your parents filing a Joint return?

No they are not and lived with me all year

After you add that person as a dependent, you get a $4,050 Personal Exemption (deduction from income) before the tax is calculated.

There are no tax credits for a parent dependent.

Is that the amount we potentially can get

You do not get the $4,050. That just means $4050 less of your income is taxed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies