teamtena

Is my filing more likely to get audited if I just added up all of my itemized expenses into one or a few total amounts under each expense category?

I have lots of receipts and sorted them out by category to itemize. I don't want to list each and every single item. Can I just add up the total for all items for each category and submit that without being audited? 

CarolynM

Yes, you can, and should, report your expenses by category.

teamtena

I think my question should be: Does the IRS expect us to list every single qualified item we are expensing regardless of category. If we don't, will this get one audited?  
CarolynM