turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it too late to file the 2019 tax returns in 2022?

I'm getting conflicting information.

On this page, https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-refund/last-chance-to-claim-your-tax-refund/L1ySMyA2H

it states "For the 2019 tax year, with a filing deadline in April of 2020, the three-year grace period ends April 18, 2022." 

This is a typo right? It should be april 18 2023?

The official IRS page states that the 2018 return 3 year deadline is april 18, 2022 here: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-reminders-about-april-18-deadline-for-last-minute-filers-and-others

so I'd imagine the 2019 return deadline is 2023? 

I'd appreciate a confirmation and/or if I misunderstood the turbotax info page that I linked prior.

Also, as I understand, I cannot do any kind of e-file. So what choices would I have here? Do I need to buy the software version of turbotax or is there any other free service possible

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@TestingUser - the filing deadline is always three years after the initial deadline.  There is a little twist for 2019 tax year.  If you recall that is the tax year that was originally due by April 15, 2020, but that is when the pandemic began.  So the IRS moved the filing deadline to July 15, 2020.  Therefore, unless you filed an extension, the three year deadline is July 15, 2023. 

If you originally filed for an extension, the deadline to file the 2019 tax return and get any refund due you  is Oct 15, 2023. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Current filing is '21.

you can file three years back so 1,2,3 is '20,'19, '18 by Tax Day.

Tax day has gone by for 2018 unless you had filed an extension for 2018..

@TestingUser - the filing deadline is always three years after the initial deadline.  There is a little twist for 2019 tax year.  If you recall that is the tax year that was originally due by April 15, 2020, but that is when the pandemic began.  So the IRS moved the filing deadline to July 15, 2020.  Therefore, unless you filed an extension, the three year deadline is July 15, 2023. 

If you originally filed for an extension, the deadline to file the 2019 tax return and get any refund due you  is Oct 15, 2023. 

Thank you for that information. 

It seems I have some time left to file my 2019 tax return. Just to confirm, the turbotax link above is incorrect then? That was very confusing. 

@TestingUser  i read that link and it is incorrect

Also, note that if you owe money, there is no deadline; you are always liable for it. 

and a few states have longer Statutes of Limitations for state tax refunds.

And to make it clearer-----no you cannot e-file it.   The ONLY way to file a 2019 return is by mail.   E-filing is permanently closed for 2019 returns.   You will need to use the CD/download software on a full PC or Mac, and you will need to print, sign and mail the return.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@SweetieJean which states have longer statue of limitations? 

I do not have a list, so one must look up the particular state.  However, as examples (and the last I knew): California, Colorado and Wisconsin have a four-year statute of limitations for filing an income tax return to claim a refund.  Montana has a five year one.

I am not sure that the IRS agrees that filing a 2019 tax return by October 15, 2023 (delayed by COVID and with an extension filed on time).  I know of an individual that was advised the SoL is up.  Any feedback here would be appreciated... 

ee-ea
Level 15

@Jake58 

Extended filing deadline for 2019 tax refundsThe three-year deadline for filing 2019 returns to claim a refund was in 2022, but the IRS postponed the deadline to July 17, 2023, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

@Jake58

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/notice-2023-21-makes-more-taxpayers-eligible-for-a-credit-or-refund-i...

For 2019 income tax returns. Affected taxpayers are individual taxpayers whose returns were due between April 1, 2020, and July 15, 2020, and who did not receive a filing extension. An affected taxpayer who filed their 2019 return after April 15, 2020, but on or before July 15, 2020, because of the postponement provided by Notice 2020-23 may be refunded all income tax payments for 2019 if they file their claim for refund within 3 years of the date they filed their original return. If, for example, an affected taxpayer filed their return on June 22, 2020, the taxpayer may be refunded all income tax payments for 2019 if they file their claim for refund by Thursday, June 22, 2023. An affected taxpayer who filed their 2019 return after July 15, 2020, may be refunded all income tax payments for 2019 if they file their claim for refund by Monday, July 17, 2023. (While 3 years from the postponed July 15, 2020, due date is July 15, 2023, that date will be a Saturday.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies