turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it necessary to use form 8962 to reconcile an Advanced Premium Tax Credit? I filled out 1095-A, would TurboTax automatically apply it to form 8962?

I need this information for applying for health insurance with Massachusetts Health Connector
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Is it necessary to use form 8962 to reconcile an Advanced Premium Tax Credit? I filled out 1095-A, would TurboTax automatically apply it to form 8962?

Form 8962 is where the reconciliation of the Advance Premium Tax Credit is done. TurboTax will include Form 8962 in your tax return if it's required. But for 2020, Form 8962 is not used if you received excess Advance Premium Tax Credit, because you don't have to pay back the excess. So Form 8962 will only be included in your tax return if you are entitled to additional Premium Tax Credit.

TurboTax always fills out Form 8962 when you enter your 1095-A. It has to fill it out in order to reconcile the credit and determine whether the form has to be included in your tax return. In the CD/Download TurboTax software you can open Form 8962 and save it as a PDF even if it's not included in your tax return. But in TurboTax Online there is no way to view or print a form that is not required for your tax return.

My professional program included the form even if it was not being used  this year.  The watermarked the form as not needed and the bottom of the page was left unfinished.  I presume the TT program does the same ... check the PDF of the return and check it out. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Critter-3  TurboTax does not do what you described. It does not include Form 8962 in the PDF of the return, even if you select the option to include all worksheets. If you open the form in forms mode and save it as a PDF there is no watermark or special notation. Part III at the bottom of page 1 is completely filled out, showing the repayment that would have been due if repayment had not been suspended.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies