turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

avdelar1

Is it beneficial to include my mother in my tax filing or does she have to file her own taxes?

My mother lives with me, my wife, (Wife and I have a combined salary of approximately $110,000) and my two children. I gave my mother a monthly allowance in cash that ranged between $1000 to $1200 per month for the Second half of the year (2018); this allowance helped her cover her personal and medical expenses. We also provide her with shelter, food, and all living expenses; I think it's worth mentioning that she does not have medical insurance. She also earned a $10,300 income for having work the first part of 2018 which she couldn't maintain for having arthritis; her hands hurt when carrying heavy items.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is it beneficial to include my mother in my tax filing or does she have to file her own taxes?

As VolvoGirl said, you can not claim her as a dependent because her income is over $4,150.

If she only has $10,300 of income (your gifts to her don't count), she won't owe any penalties for not having health insurance.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Well she has to file her own return for her income.  And you can not claim her as a dependent on your return since she had over $4,150 income.  Sorry.  She probably has to pay the penalty for not having health insurance.  @TaxGuyBill are you a health expert?

As VolvoGirl said, you can not claim her as a dependent because her income is over $4,150.

If she only has $10,300 of income (your gifts to her don't count), she won't owe any penalties for not having health insurance.

avdelar1

Can I deduct any of the gifts to my mother (cash, and all living and medical expenses) in my tax filing?

No, gifts to individual people are not a tax deduction.
avdelar1

Ok. Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies