Is bonus money taxed different than regular income? I got a $5,000 bonus this year and did not pay taxes on the same -- is this in a different tax category than normal?

brookelinn86

re2boys

No, the bonus is added to your other income and is taxed just as your other income is taxed....on a graduated scale.

But employers are allowed several method in determining the appropriate withholding from a bonus.  See this article for details:

http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/income-and-investments/bonus-time-how-bonuses-are-taxed-and-treated-...