Is anyone else having their return rejected after input of the correct IP PIN? I'm looking at the IRS letter with the number, but my return keeps getting bounced back.

January 2018 is the wrong year's letter.   Do you have an IRS letter from December 2018 or January 2019 with the IP PIN?  If not, we can tell you how to get your current year IP PIN at the IRS website.  You have to have a new IP PIN every year.

See this page at the IRS site on how to retrieve a current IP PIN:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

What is the rejection error code?

Are you looking at the current IRS letter from December/January with your current IP PIN?

Are you entering a 6-digit PIN in this section:

In the left menu column, click Federal.
Then at the top choose tab link "Other Tax Situations"
On the next screen scroll down to "Other Return Info."
Choose Identity Protection PIN and Start (or Revisit.)

It says the IP PIN is incorrect. I'm taking the six-digit IP PIN straight from the hard copy Form CP01A dated Jan 2018. I've done the steps just as you said - Federal, Other Tax Situations, Other Return Info and inputting the PIN correctly two times now, and it still keeps getting bounced with the same error message. Yikes! This is the PIN I used last year. Maybe I;ll print it and mail a hard copy? Any suggestions welcome. Thx!

January 2018 would be the wrong year.  That would be last year's IP PIN.  See my full answer below on how to retrieve a new one.

Thank you! I don't have a letter after January 2018. Do I have to reapply every year, or will the IRS automatically generate a new PIN and mail it to me. Thx!

You're welcome.  They should mail you a new IP PIN each year.  You do not have to reapply.  In fact, once you start using an IP PIN, there is no way to remove the obligation.

While it's possible to file on paper by mail without it, it will likely delay processing due to additional ID screening they may require.

You may be able to get it online with the retrieval tool at that page linked above.  There is also a special IRS phone number on that page for assistance with IP PIN issues.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing