• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justicesdogindy

IRS is requiring a 1095-A and 8962. 22 year old dependent step daughter (full time student), was enrolled in marketplace by her mother, telling us it was thru her work.

She received APTC to the tune of $3,500+ because dear mother used the child's $12,000/yr income to qualify, and also stated on the application she couldn't be claimed as anyone's dependent. No one else is on the policy, so no splitting. I am tearing my hair out over here.
6 Replies
Lisa995
Level 12

IRS is requiring a 1095-A and 8962. 22 year old dependent step daughter (full time student), was enrolled in marketplace by her mother, telling us it was thru her work.

Its got moms name and SSN at the top?  or only the daughters info?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
justicesdogindy

Only daughter's SSN on the 1095-A but the mom's address. smh
Carl
Level 15

Removed my response, so as  not to confuse.
Lisa995
Level 12

@TaxGuyBill   I'm sure you know how to deal with this.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 9

Is there a question?

The 1095-A needs to be entered in the parent's return to produce a 8962.  Most likely it will result in a large repayment.
Carl
Level 15

This may be a windfall for you, as I just today assisted a friend of mine with dealing with this very exact thing. So it's fresh in my mind and I know exactly what you need to do for this specific situation. Basically, when dealing with a request for information from the IRS it's important to follow the instructions in the letter to the absolute letter. No more. No less. You deviate one single iota from the instructions in the letter, and you'll be months getting any refund you may be due, if you ever get that refund at all.
Overall, the address on the 1095-A doesn't matter. If your SSN is on the 1095-A then the IRS want's a copy of it. They also want a form 8962 that is associated with "your" return.
Now I'm confident the letter you got from the IRS specifically and explicitly tells you to "NOT" amend your return. So the first thing you do is make a backup copy of the .tax2018 file located in your documents/turbotax directory. You want this backup, because you are going to permanently and forever change your original .tax2018 file without amending it, so as to give the IRS exactly what they want. Take special note that this will change your tax liability. More than likely you'll be getting more money back. But it's also possible that you could owe the IRS more money too. If you end up owing, then so long as you pay before Apr 15th, you'll be fine as no late payment penalties or interest will be assessed.

Open your return in the TTX program and select the Health Insurance tab.
Assuming you were covered the entire year, select that option and continue.
Select Yes, then Continue.
Select Obamacare Plan and Continue.
Select Yes, and Continue.
Do not select the option to populate the information for everyone listed on your tax return. But fill out the page with the information "exactly" as printed on the 1095-A. Once done, click Continue.
Select the option for "Shared this policy with another taxpayer who is not on my taxes" and Continue.
Enter the primary SSN shown on the 1095-A, be it that of your mother or your father.  I also expect that for start month you'll select January, and for end month you'll select December.

Now for your premium percentage it's not that hard, but it does take a bit to explain in this forum.

If including your parent(s) there are a total of 5 people shown on the 1095-A and you are one of those 5, then your percentage is 20%. Whereas if there are three people shown on the 1095-A and you are one of those three, then your percentage is 33%. So whatever "YOUR" percentage is, is the number you will enter in all three boxes.

After entering all the information on this page click Continue. Then click Continue again.

This page will tell you if you're getting more refund, or if you have to pay back some of the credit. Click the Continue button.
You should be on the "That's all we need...." screen. Click Continue again.
Now select the FILE tab (directly under the tax due or refund due numbers).
Under the FILE tab select the sub-tab for "Print/Save for your Records".
Click the "Print" button (Not the "Print Forms" button) and wait for it to generate the PDF that you will be printing from.

Now select "Specific Forms". Then on the right scroll down to and select the checkbox next to "Form 8962: Premium Tax Credit".

Now click the "Print Preview Copy" button and wait.
When the 8962 appears it will be 2 pages. Print both pages.

Now per the instructions in the letter you got from the IRS you need to send this 8962 along with a copy of the 1095-A to the IRS *AND* don't forget to include a copy of the letter you got from the IRS.

I would suggest you fax all this to the IRS. The fax number to send to is on the back of the letter you got from the IRS. Remember to include that letter in your fax also.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v