turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS has not debited my bank account for 2016 return yet. How do I know, at this point, if I need to send a check? Same thing happened to me last year, got a fine. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

IRS has not debited my bank account for 2016 return yet. How do I know, at this point, if I need to send a check? Same thing happened to me last year, got a fine. Thanks

Verify you are filed and accepted ... 

Check Your E-File Status on this Secure TurboTax website
https://turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp
- It will show the date you transmitted your return and if it was accepted or rejected.  
- Both your Federal and State will be listed separately if you filed both.
- It will tell you when you E-filed
- The electronic filing date

See the following TurboTax support article on checking your e-file status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908859-how-do-i-look-up-the-status-of-my-e-filed-return 

When will my tax payment go through?

During non-peak times, funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specify, assuming your e-filed return has already been accepted (received) by the IRS.

If that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are typically withdrawn the next business day.

Now, if you filed right before (or on) the busy April 18 deadline, the IRS may not be able to debit your payment until after the deadline, due to high e-filing volume. In addition, it can take your bank another few days to post the debit to your account.

No worries; as long as you filed your return or extension on or before April 18 and you selected April 18 (or earlier) as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment.

In the meantime, keep an eye on your bank account – if you still don't see the debit 7-10 days after your return has been accepted, call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 or contact your state tax agency, as appropriate.

**** Make sure you set up the payment correctly ****

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the federal and state filing instruction sheet with the Turbotax logo. 

If you owed tax, they will show the payment information and how you decided to pay.  

>If you indicated pay by mail, then you need to mail in a check.  

>If you selected credit card, it will probably be processed in a couple of days.  

>If you selected debit from your bank account, that information is passed on to the state and IRS and they will do the debit when they process your return information -- usually 1-3 weeks for e-file and 3-4 weeks if mailed in.  

> If you also owe the state ... read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900884-what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-for-pay...

Manage cookies