Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kris3

IRA Withdrawal penalty fee exemption because unemployed and paying for health insurance premium.

I am currently receiving Unemployment benefits. I am planning on withdrawing $5,000 from my IRA. I understand I have to pay taxes on it, but I am also using $3,600 to pay for my health insurance premium for the year. I know I am exempt from paying the 10% early withdrawal penalty because I am unemployed and I am using most of it for my health insurance premium ($300 per month), and I understand that I will still be paying the 10% penalty for $1,400 (since this is the difference 5000-3600), my question is, how can I go about this specific detail when it's time to file for my taxes for year 2017? I don't mind paying the 10% penalty fee but only for $1,400 because the rest of the money I am withdrawing is going towards paying my health insurance. I want to make sure I do this correctly so I won't be charged 10% for the entire $5,000. Can you help me please?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IRA Withdrawal penalty fee exemption because unemployed and paying for health insurance premium.

The portion that has the exception to penalty will be shown on Form 5329 when you file the 2017 tax return.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The portion that has the exception to penalty will be shown on Form 5329 when you file the 2017 tax return.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Mako
Returning Member

The amount that was withdrawn (form 5329 seems correct) is still showing on line 4b of the 1040 and adding into the AGI.

@Mako  Do you have a question?  The 5329 is to avoid the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.  The withdrawal might still be taxable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies