Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3


My taxes are being investigated right now because I am a victim of identity theft so I don’t know if I still need your help or if the EDD‘s gonna take care of it that’s what I understand. It is 45 days for them to reach a decision so I’m just waiting on a decision. I if I still need to contact you. Even though this is being investigated please text me back and let me know if I have to  need your help

2 Replies
Level 15


You probably need to get your own lawyer and/or see a local accountant to get this all straightened out.  It is too confusing.  

Level 15


This forum is for Turbotax users with income tax program questions. 


If you have identity theft then here is some helpful info on top of possibly needing an attorney ...


Organization What to Do


Credit Agencies
1) Report the identity theft to the fraud department of one of the following reporting agencies as soon as possible. They must notify the other two agencies.
• Equifax:
• Experian:
• TransUnion:

2) Request a copy of your credit report and request that only the last
four digits of your Social Security number be placed on the report.

3) Close accounts that you think have been compromised or opened

4) Inform the credit bureaus and the credit issuers (in writing) of any
fraudulent accounts and incorrect information.

5) Obtain replacement credit cards with new, secure account numbers
and destroy any old cards.

6) Notify those who have received your credit report in the last six
months to alert them to any disputed, fraudulent or incorrect information.

7) Confirm that an extended fraud alert (seven years) is placed on your
credit report.



Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

1) Report the crime to the FTC to establish an Identity Theft Affidavit.
Identity Theft Victim’s Complaint and Affidavit.


Local Police

1)Report the crime to your local police or sheriff’s department. Make
sure to provide as much documented evidence as possible.

2)Verify that the report lists the fraudulent accounts and keep a copy
of the report.



Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

1) Contact the IRS to report the theft. This will alert them to any claim
for refund or other activity on your account. File IRS Form 14039,

Identify Theft Affidavit.

State Tax Agency

1) Contact your state tax agency to report the theft. Some agencies
may require a police report and/or the IRS affidavit.


Other Agencies and Organizations

1) U.S. mail fraud: Contact your local postal inspector.
• Online:
• Phone: 800.275.8777

2) Social Security number misuse — non-IRS issues:
-Check your earnings record to make sure no one is using your SSN
to obtain work. Call your local Social Security Administration (SSA)
office if something looks inaccurate.

-Contact the SSA Inspector General to report Social Security benefit
fraud, employment fraud, or welfare fraud.

  • • Online reporting resources:
    - Fraud Reporting Form

  • • SSA fraud hotline: 800.269.0271


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings