Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 15

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

Highlighted
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A31. No, with one exception. The Payment may have been offset only by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if an offset occurs.

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total Payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s Payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the Payment.

The IRS is aware that in some instances a portion of the payment sent to a spouse who filed an injured spouse claim with his or her 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if no 2019 tax return has been filed) has been offset by the non-injured spouse’s past-due child support. The IRS is working with the Bureau of Fiscal Service and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your return and are impacted by this issue, you do not need to take any action. The injured spouse will receive their unpaid half of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Highlighted
Level 3

Your portion of the stimulus will be given back to you. I'm in the same boat you're in. Child support will take the spouses part of the stimulus and return yours back to you. Be patient...there is only one person that does the injured spouse paper work. They are back logged. You will get your portion back.

Highlighted
Level 2

I saw this article posted yesterday. I hope this is helpful. I’m honestly treating this like any other year. It typically takes 11+ weeks before I see my tax refund so I’ve just assumed it’s going to be the same for this. It sucks but it is what it is. Stay safe!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/05/07/coronavirus-stimulus-checks-injured-sp[product key r... 

The system keeps removing the numbers from the link so google the title of the article.

Highlighted
Level 3

The link can’t be found 

Highlighted
Level 3

I observed that they are inconsistent 

Highlighted
Level 3

Maybe you can complain in the child support division . They should only take 1,200 from your husband but not yours and for the kids . 

Highlighted
Level 2

The system keeps removing the numbers from the link. Google the title and see if you can find the article. Sorry about that.

Highlighted
Level 3

I still have yet to receive my tax refund. This is the 13th week. Is there a delay on this because I’ve never waited this long even with injured spouse form the last 3 years I filed. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Highlighted
Expert Alumni

Yes, there is a delay.  It is the COVID shutdown that has caused the IRS to temporarily stop processing some returns.  Returns on hold include those with injured spouse claims.  Unfortunately, the IRS is the only one that knows the status of your return, and they have temporarily suspended the processing of paper-filed and manually reviewed (Forms 8379 included) tax returns.  

Check the status here.  If it says ''still processing'', see above.  Rest assured, you will get your refund but not until they resume operations.  

@Babes0726 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Highlighted
Level 2

Happened to us to and we have 3 children now the question is how are we going to receive the other half of the money!

Highlighted
Level 15

@Csonger35 wrote:

Happened to us to and we have 3 children now the question is how are we going to receive the other half of the money!

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A29. If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments.

Highlighted
Level 2

Half of the whole payment 

Highlighted
Level 2

So we won't get our part of the stimulus check until next year when we file taxes. I thought when it was offset by child support injured spouse got theirs I, 8 to ten weeks

Highlighted
Level 2

But how are we receiving the other half of our payments if they took half! Ours says deposited to turbo tax card on the 30th I can't find it will they send a check just like with taxes this is a crazy!!!

v
Privacy Settings